How to Read a Water Meter Very Simple Tips Awesome
When you get the monthly bill of your water expenditure at your residence, the usage is motored by a water meter.
It is nothing but a simple device added to the main water supply for a well which tracks the amount of water that flows by the main every day.
The amount is measured by the municipality to calculate the bill. You may also read it yourself.
Learning the process of meter reading is not a difficult task that aid you to understand the level of water consumption.
What is a Water Meter?
A water meter is a unit which is used to measure the volume of water gives to property. Some water meters measure water in cubic feet while other measured in gallons.
Most residential water meters are set near the sidewalk or curb at the front of the property in a good box. The water meter box may have a plastic lid or metal lid and can be indicated Water meter.
Take a long screwdriver to take out the lid. However, be careful since reptiles, insects and other small animals sometimes take place inside the boxes.
Some meters have hinged small cover though others have not. Take out the cover and apply a damp rag to wash the face clean.
Meter type 1
Suppose you have an old meter. The reading would look like this. The black digits along with white background show the cubic meters used and you need to submit the reading. Tell us only the first five digits only. The meter reading would look like this 00158.
Meter type 2
As you have a digital meter, the display will look like this. Tell us the top digits only. For example, the meter reading will be 000189. The meter flashes on the screen from time to time. It indicates that the meter screen is running well.
How to read your water meter
It is very important to know what is going on in your house when it appears to usage and water- especially the day’s heat up, and our system of water utilizes increases.
Icon Water takes the responsibility of the water meter infrastructure including water meter. You are the owner of the house.
So you should take all the liabilities of the maintenance of the pipes and some other infrastructure of the house side of the meter.
You also should take some other responsibilities for anything that is going out of order regarding water usage.
If any leak or problem is found, this will cause less financial pressure, and the less important resource may be lost down the drain.
Do not keep it for the longest time. We suggest monitoring water usage to monitor for potential problems- really a month’s basis- with the regular intervals throughout the year.
How to calculate water meter readings
The big sweep hand of the dial measures water amount in gallons or cubic feet. 1 gallon or 1 cubic foot of water goes through the water meter since the sweep hand goes from one hand to the next.
A total rotation equals ten gallons or ten cubic feet up to the unit measured. Most of the analog dials have low flow indicator which moves as water goes inside the water meter. It is just like a little triangle, gear or star.
Analog Example: The Sweep hand is the one. Therefore, the reading is 1,356,411gallons.
The end number is a static zero. If the sweep hand is over three the reading is 1,356,413 gallons. If you note down the record in the Leak Detection Test, be sure to apply the number referred by the sweep arm since the last digit.
Determine the volume of water applied by your household
To the front of the water meter, you may notice a big deal and a series of numbers.
These numbers indicate the volume of water using in your home as the last time it was set.
- The measurement may be specified to the dial face; normal units are cubic or gallons feet in USA and cubic or liters meters is more to the rest of the universe.
- The odometer shows the total reading of the amount of water which has been consumed in the household since the time of installation. It may not reset each month or billing cycle. You only know the consumption level by recording it. The last two numbers of the meter may be white numerals to the black background, and the rest black numerals are on the white background. The ending two numbers indicates the whole single units and tens of the units.
- The big rotating dial presents the partial units which have been received. Every number implies a tenth of the unit and the tick marks presents the 100 of the unit.
- They would be smaller gear- or having triangle shape dial to the meter face also. It may be called low flow indicator. As you think there is a leak in any place between the interior and the meter of your home, stop all water inside your home and notice the indicator. When it is rotating, the water flow is constant.
Monitoring Your Water Usage
Take monthly readings. To measure how much water is running through your house, you must check the water meter once in a month at least. You can easily prepare your previous month’s report by doing so.
- Reviewing your study over the course of few months can help you spot patterns in your usage. This may be helpful when you take action to conserve water.
- If you check water meter frequently, you may quickly find leaks before they become more serious.
Determine how much water your household uses. As you aware that water usage is shown on a unit of 100 cubic feet, you have the option to drop the last two digits of the readout (12,345 becomes 123).
This number is subtracted from the following month’s reading. Now, say that the meter read 13,545 (or 135) — it implies that you may be charged for 1200 units.
- Water charges are shown in the unit by using per month. Every unit is 100 cubic feet or somewhere from 700 to 800 gallons in the neighborhood.
- There is the uncertainty of usage in your area. Normally subtract last month’s reading from the present month. Then notice the review codes for your locality to know how it breaks down.
Calculate the cost of your water usage. The following task is to find out the charge per unit for water consumed.
You can do the work by calling your utility board. If you know this number for the first time, multiply this by usage for the month to have an idea how much you desire to pay.
- If you keep an old bill in your hand, you can calculate the charges’ amount. You can do so by the number of units you used in that particular month. Finally, you can amount of cost per unit in your house.
Check for leaks. Sometimes you can get a bill that may seem very high. It may be that there is a leak in your system.
To get the accurate message, shut off all faucets, shower heads and toilets in your house. If you have an underground sprinkler system, check all of its components to be sure about leaks.
Again inspect the meter. As the sweep hand is moving, it implies that water is coming out from somewhere on the property.
- Another system to get the potential leak is by noticing the flow of indicator. Most water meters come with a symbol somewhere on the display. The flow indicator may spin if a leak is found.
- You can utilize a stethoscope to hear the sound of leaks. The sound you get like a hissing or a humming noise.
- Repair the leaks as soon as you get. If left unaddressed, a small leak may have taken more expenses.
Look for ways to decrease your water usage. You shouldn’t be surprised if you get your water bill more than you have anticipated. Don’t worry at all. There are many ways through which you can cut down your usages.
You can consolidate laundry into a bigger load. Shut off the water when you brush your teeth, lessen the use of water to manage your lawn or take the shorter shower. Mind it: each bit adds up.
- Be sure; you have completely replaced water meter and the protective dial cap after you have finished taking a reading.
- You won’t be anxious though you see an inconsistent interpretation of water bill. Water bill fluctuates from time to time. This is a usual happening.
- When you check water supply of your house regularly, you can easily get the problem. Then you will be able to remove it without becoming very serious.
- Reading a water meter usually is a confusing matter. If you are still not sure to conclude usage, meet water provider. Then ask a representative to analysis it for your convenience.
- Remember that big commercial and residential properties have a separate water meter set up for irrigation purposes.
- If you don’t understand any charges, call in your water purveyor about any charge like charges for wastewater treatment.